Saturday, October 3, 2009

Laying out the pieces.

Will it be this one?
Or this one?
Or this one?
Or that one?
Laying out the pieces of a new collage can take me quite a while, even with only 3 main pieces to work into a background! For me this 'laying out' the pieces part is a process to be done slowly and thoughtfully and preferably without interruptions. It's my first chance to see the idea that's been in my head and to start to bond with it. It's the school holidays...I am not doing so good on the 'without interruptions' part so I asked the kids for their opinions too and after that they were quite content to let me and my papers be for a little while at least:)
This collage will be the 3rd in my ICE series "Chain Reaction" and I was playing with the concept of 'connections' again (collage 2 if you missed it) and interaction. Our interactions with each other and nature set in place a chain reaction. I've chosen an embossed leaf, the word tree and of course...my nest print here to represent a cycle of dependency and life. The tree needs the leaf to feed it, the leaf needs the tree to grow it...which in turn provides the leaf the means to do what the tree needs.
The nest needs both the leaf and tree but in turn the tree needs the bird (who needs the nest) to eat the seeds and disperse them elsewhere so that the cycle of natural regeneration can continue. No one part of that cycle is more important than another because with out each other they don't exist. Unfortunately, us humans, sometimes see fit to interfere with that cycle and cause a chain reaction of a different kind yet we have an equal opportunity to purposefully make choices that set in place a postive chain reaction.. and like the leaf and the tree it will also sustain us and our future generations. That's my take on it anyway!
This collage is now well under way so watch this space! If your creating a blog action day post and missed my invitation to play please go here for the details!

6 comments:

Irene said...

Hi Lisa, if it´s any help, I like the first arrangement the best. It is the most pleasing to the eye. It promises to be a good one.

Mick said...

Number two is the one seemed right for me. :)

The Weaver of Grass said...

I find it interesting to see how these collages evolve - I look forward to stage 2.

layers said...

this is the beauty of collage-- to move the papers around and around until if feels 'right'. and cycles and the passage of time is perfect for nests and birds. Yesterday a robin hit my window and I watched it die-- and another robin waited nearby-quiet and still--sad day. but today is beautiful and sunny.

ArtPropelled said...

Hmm I have no idea which is best because they all look good to me. Maybe 2 or 3. I love the embossed leaf.

John M. Mora said...

the four options all appealed to me --- great use of alimited palette. these are going great.