Saturday, January 1, 2011

Walk'n under trees in a cool summer breeze...

Walk'n under trees in a cool summer breeze is exactly what I needed today. It's the school hol's so we took a picnic and the bicycles and headed off to Yatton Park. I was a bit worried it would be really busy at this time of year with holiday makers and locals but out the back where we went it wasn't too bad.
It was beautiful in the dappled light and I decided to have a little play...

Sticks gathered and loosely woven against a huge 100 year old tree's trunk..

Many attempts later (wind, wobbly sticks, perfectionism....)

I started out wanting to make 'something'. A sundial or wind chime or some other recognisable 'thing' for a passerby to find. In the end I just played and enjoyed the seeking out of leaves and the many shapes, colours and textures to be found.


I'm sure it's no surprise to see that the one 'thing' I did represent was a nest! I found the curled mossy bark and didn't even try to resist...and it was made even better with the last minute find of feathers!


I had fun with this, despite my urge to control the design and make 'something.' I am quite pleased with the way it turned out because it felt good to make it even if I did get some strange looks from other people!Hopefully someone will pass by and smile because it made them feel good to see it and just maybe they will stop and play a while too...

16 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

If I passed by these playful gatherings my day would be a lot brighter. The curly bark looks like a hummingbird's nest. Wishing you many more playful days in 2011.

"Each day, and the living of it, has to be a conscious creation in which discipline and order are relieved with some play and pure foolishness."
- Mary Sarton

Jasmine said...

Delightful. You are definately brightening the day of any lucky enough to stumble across this natural sculpture xj

John M. Mora said...

i.remember.the.shag.nests.white .as.snow.happy.new.year.mum

Irene said...

My father and I used to make nests in the forest with fake silver paper coins in them. We always hope we could fool someone into believing that they had found a treasure. Building the nests was fun. We had it down to a fine art. Thank you for reminding me of that.

XOX

Kris said...

What a lovely gift you've left for others to find.

Debrina said...

Art is play and play is art. My grandmother used to encourage me to write my wishes on a piece of paper for the new year and then hang it from a tree. You've just reminded me of that...thanks Lisa! Happy New Year!!

Penny said...

A lovely way to spend time, playing and leaving somethng behind for some lucky person to see.
Oh and the word verification for my post is 'inest'how appropriate,

Debi said...

Oh Lisa, you are a delight. This post made me happy.

Jacky said...

I would definately smile if I passed by your little assemblage. Very organic and naturally beautiful... how nice it must have been to sit and create in the park.

Jacky xox

Flower said...

Loving the pics Lisa. beautiful colours. Enjoy the holidays xox

Mick said...

You had to have known that I would love this? I do!

BadPenny said...

What a beautiful nest.

I have been finding things in the woods and on the beach recently - little tributes made from berries, stones, leaves etc to a boy who died recently & left by his friends. It's very moving.

Jill Zaheer said...

Just beautiful- love the colors, your thoughts, the fresh feel of your post-and your wonderful nest! Best wishes for a happy healthy new year!

Carol said...

A lovely post, Lisa, and brought back so many memories of making nests, and fairy bowers and moss gardens...

Your post about releasing the birds is delightful and obviously Little Bird will take a bit of convincing that life on the outside is better than in your house. Happy New Year, Carol

nancy neva gagliano said...

a perfect invitation: if others don't actually stop and play, their minds will do a turn, and i'm sure new awareness will be carried away as they begin to at least LOOK at their surroundings a bit differently...
lovely.

John M. Mora said...

I just saw a Hercules movie on TV with a walk through fern tree woods and thought of you, mum