Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Portait of the artist. Exhibition day!

It feels like ages ago that I made my piece for Dale Copeland's exhbition (it wasn't!) and today is the launch day for the exhibiton. 75 artists took part from all over the globe and there are quite a few different interpretations of the theme. You can see them all here. or by going to the Virtual Tart link on my side bar.
My piece for the exhibition is below.


The mediums I choose are a reflection of me. The reflect what I care about, what I love and what I enjoy. The stitches and 'veins' of wire are symbolic of these things coming together in a bodily form.

I really enjoyed making this, especially the stitch work which was addictive! It amazes me what can be achieved with scrap fabric and the wire from a dismantled vaccum cleaner but these materials and colours put together are a 'bit of me.' It was a nightmare to photograph though!




I've been a terrible blog visitor/facebooker/tumbler/emailier these last few weeks. Busy, busy with end of year school things, Christmas preperations (the tree's up and lights are on!) the 4 birds and a tenancy inspection...I plan on redirecting atleast some of my attention to art and blog hopping soon! 


15 comments:

Lisa said...

I have also been a bit on the lame side with with regard to blogging and visiting..it's a crazy time of the year! your piece looks great..fabulous details... a real reflection of you indeed and I think your photography is super. Hope the family is healthy and well.

Irene said...

It's really beautiful, Lisa. You did a great job on it as usual. Very delicate and pretty. The more you look, the more you see.

Mick said...

As I read along and studied the work I am delighted to see that you've learnt two important things:

1. How to talk about your work; a very important thing to do should you ever exhibit in places where the buyer can meet you, talk and ask questions.

2. You now have a much better understanding of how to photograph your work. Another terribly handy thing to be able to do when you can get away with not having to hire a professional (remember: sometimes you will need a professional).

Debrina said...

I really like this, Lisa - much thought and great processes. We will have much to discuss next year too...if you are still on for our collaborative collage exhibit?
I will be securing a place for us at Square Edge - which is the building you saw in my latest posting. It's where we had our art fair just recently too.

ArtPropelled said...

Lovely piece Lisa! Very you. I'm off to see the exhibition now.

Jacky said...

Hi Lisa, thanks for letting me know the collage box arrived...I am sure you will some lovely goodies in there. It's hard to know what to choose.

Beautiful, organic cloth (I love the inclusion of the wire from the vacuum cleaner... must pop over and visit the link.

Jacky xox

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

testing

John M. Mora said...

what a yarn, mum

Momo Luna S!gnals said...

It's beautiful! I love the bright red 'veins' on the delicate linen a lot.

Anonymous said...

i've been a horrible blogger and everything else lately too -- life is that way, particularly during this time of year and especially for mums AND homeschool mums.

i really, really like this piece a lot -- it's lovely!! the self portrait thing is difficult indeed! but you nailed this one perfectly!

druga szesnaście said...

this is breathtaking.
I love the symbolism here.

Laura said...

exquisite, delicate, filled with light...I'm so happy I dropped by to view this!

Seth said...

Beautiful piece and a wonderful exhibition.

layers said...

I too have been away from the blog world for awhile and trying to catch up.. I have been to Dale's self portrait site-- great variety of art works.

Deborah said...

Gorgeous piece! I love the stitching and details!