Saturday, September 5, 2009

For the love of Feathers and Art

I created a glue-less collage in my book. It was tricky getting it to stay in place but I like the fact that it is all stitched and not glued. Aside from the feathers my friend sent me there's some postage stamps she sent, a scrap of handmade paper, a happy accident technique oak print, paper from a flour bag and gesso to cover over some random text done in ink. I am using my book to experiment with different collage styles and mediums. The page shown below shows the back of one of my other pages and I used the thread from that page to hold the feathers in place. I feel a little bit 'directionless' at the moment but I am happy to play for now!

Below are the feathers my friend sent! Wahooo!

I have a wonderful daughter (if I may say so myself!) and this is a note she gave me after school one day. I've taped it to the inside lid of my feather box! Awwwww....
Below are a few pics from the place I have been doing my work experience. The scroll says "artistic excellence enables humanity" and above it the Maori translation of it. It's not actually part of the building I have been working in but next to the smokers area. The Minds Eye is where I have been hanging out! I learnt how to set a loom the other day...not sure if I will need that skill later but it was good to learn all the same.

We took part in Clean up NZ week (the great NZ Spring Clean) which runs Sept 4-11. You can see some photos here if you wish!
Thanks everyone for your visits and warm comments. It's lovely to see you all too!






12 comments:

Poetic Artist said...

I have just found your blog thru another blogger friend.
I have enjoyed it very much..
Katelen

Maya said...

awwwww, that is a sweet note!

Irene said...

Those are nice pages in your home made book and what wonderful feathers you've got! Your daughter's note is very sweet. I love her spelling...

John M. Mora said...

mum is the word ... hey, there is a shag above us...

great book page...the leaf is my favorite part of the composition - muted and grounds all...

my best...white wash and all

John M. Mora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John M. Mora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John M. Mora said...

my bad

Mick said...

Once you have so much handmade paper that you don't know what to do with it all you might consider spinning it into long threads ... and then? Load it into the loom!

Anonymous said...

oooh, i am loving these new pages and quite adore the feathers. your book is gorgeous! your daughter is so sweet! i love the notes our little ones leave us. aren't they the best!!

Debrina said...

Hello Lisa - how are you? Lovely to have you stop by to say hi! I'm REALLY liking the feathers page - awesome how you sewed the page up like that! I wouldn't mind trying that on a smaller scale with my ATCs.

Leslie Avon Miller said...

I like the feather pages with stitching. The colors are perfect.

nancy neva gagliano said...

now i like yellow more than ever...and the note. sooooo sweet and reminiscent of my little students in 2nd grade. agreeing with leslie on the stitching of feathers..sweet memories.