Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Where there's smoke...

Where there's smoke there is fire and my creative cells have certainly been on fire today!
I'm so excited! There's nothing like a creative burst to rejuvinate and energise my soul. I went to a mall this morning and hated every minute of it. Busy. Noisey. Artificial. I came home utterly knackered and all I'd done is walk. I knew what I needed to do to break out of the slump I found myself in and I dedicated my afternoon to some 'nest time.' As crazy as it sounds, my first ICE collage for the 2011 exchange came to me the other night as I drifted off to sleep.I've had the concept brewing for a few months now but I wasn't sure how I would express it. Then I saw it. One collage encompassing the whole idea, the colours, the images, the marks made by stitches and paint. I can't wait to get it out of my head and on to paper. I decided to start by photographing some of the beautiful nests I have around my home. I wanted to create new nest images to use in collages and you can see some of the results below...





And then came these ones...

I'm lovin' this one below. Lines crossing and interweaving barely recognisable as a nest yet earthy, dramatic and bold.


My theme for the 2011 collage exchange is "Fragile" and I was thinking about my theme and wondering how I could better express it. I was totally loving the images I created but knew I hadn't quite found 'the one'  and then it came to me.. 


With my 'fragile' series I'm revisting a familiar theme..based on a theory of mine that society is a nest.

A nest built from a foundation of love, hope, warmth and safety will raise children that can fly and prosper. The whole future of our children is dictated by the nest they live in and how far they will fly depends on each of us. What we do or don't do makes our society what it is. The nest is precious and the souls within it...fragile.


Fragile. ICE 2011 Series. Coming soon.

14 comments:

Kim Palmer said...

Just logged on to see you have only just posted a few minutes ago! Love these pics Lisa, they will make for great collage fodder. I love the speckled egg! Can't wait to se what you get up to with them. I know what you mean about crazy mall shopping experiences. Sometimes whats needed is a little quiet chill and some creative therapy!

Jasmine said...

Good to see you back Lisa. Love the metaphors here and look forward to seeing where the 'Fragile' theme will take you. xxJ

Renee Howell said...

Your connection to nests and your theme - so evident. In the groove. Beautiful to witness your creative connection. Today, I will smile each time I think of your post. A wonderful gift. Thank you!

ArtPropelled said...

Love, love, love these nests Lisa. Your excitement is contagious. Cheering you on and will try to be patient to see what you come up with.

Unknown said...

These are just gorgeous. Love them.

Mick said...

After looking over this series for the third time there was only one word that came to mind: WOW!

Carol said...

These images are beautiful Lisa, and the underlying thoughts are so true. I look forward to seeing how this theme develops.

Corrine said...

I adore nests, and your theme is fabulous. Lots of different directions to take off in. Happy journeys.

Kris said...

Very awesome nests and what a great creative path they are leading you in!

Lisa said...

really fabulous transitions Lisa. Beautiful photos and ideas..can't wait to see where you go from here.
Fragile. a good choice indeed.

nancy neva gagliano said...

always loved nests.....now luv em more!

Debrina said...

You've made some beautiful images with your photography, Lisa. My next blog posting is going to explore some of the common themes that appear on our blogs, and oe of them is nests and egss. Your naming the symbology and thinking behind your choice is synchronicity to me!

deb said...

Glad to "hear" all is currently well and I am always inspired by your layers and nests. Your images are fabulous and I know that something amazing is brewing. I too am loving that last image in the series and thinking what a beautiful drawing it would make...

John M. Mora said...

Simply great, top one looks like a Fifth Ave. condo - elegant and stately.