Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Museum of Forgotten Things

As most of you will know I currently have Alicia Caudle's book 'The Museum of Forgotten Things" with me. What a huge honour it is to be able to take part in the awesomely, fabulously, wonderfully great Pulp Redux Collab! Here's what I've done so far...

My son found that fabulous blue hair clip at school..I couldn't believe my luck when he pulled it out of his pocket and proudly presented it too me!

I decided to make a fabric 'scroll thing' for the page. The idea is not all that original, I was avoiding it for that reason an  there are already several in Alicia's book.. but I like the way it helps keep the flow going from Alicia's pages to Debrina's and on to mine.It was also fun to make!

What does a handy piece of mutton cloth, some beads, thread, lace and coffee dyed 2nd hand shop fabric make when it's all stuck onto the surface of some painted, textured foam board?


I'm pleased to be introducing Charlotte to you all! Charlotte is the secret daughter of Hester.
Hester or Hettie as she is known, is the main character of Alicia's book. Hettie's first love died in a nasty barn fire that Hettie herself was to blame for. She arrived home one day and caught her husband in the arms of another woman . Poor Hester! She threw a lantern to the ground in a terrible burst if hurt and rage setting the whole lot alight. As she was never suspected of being the cause of the fire the incident was declared an accident. Hester went on to live a life of guilt and seclusion...with the exception of a few secret lovers and a secret daughter- Charlotte.

The page is not finished yet, I need to find the perfect bits and pieces to add to the page but so far so good! I am quite happy with it although it dosn't fit onto my usual 'style.' I've never worked with images of real people before and I don't usually work in blue or on foam board! I was so pleased when my son gave me the blue hair clip and to see how perfectly it sits on the page. What luck! I feel confident that I can continue on Charlotte's story while keeping true to the flow of the book and my own personal style. It's good to move around and explore a bit!

You can find the links to the Pulp Redux Collab and all the artists involved in my side bar...I've just rearranged things a bit to make them all easier to find. I am sure you will find plenty of inspiration over at their blogs so make sure you've got your cuppa at the ready!

9 comments:

Oxana said...

Stunning piece!!! Love it!

Irene said...

Absolutely fabulous!

Mick said...

Barn fire, you say? These folks aren't from Chicago are they? :O

Caterina Giglio said...

not finished!!?? oh gosh, this is is wonderful!!
sorry to take so long to answer your question... there is no such thing as handmade gesso pages! I failed to place an appropriate coma between the words! it should have read, handmade papers, gesso. so sorry!
but if I create it, you will be the first to know!!!LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

i'm with cat... not finished? this is gorgeous and wonderful and ever so perfect! i am loving that little charlotte. she is so sweet! i don't think you could have picked a better photo to be her. i LOVE the blue hair clip (i should be sad that some little girl is probably crying somewhere missing it). i love all of the amazing stitching (did you stitch through the foam board or just glue the piece on when you were done?), and the little pearls and lace and sainted bits. it's all so very sweet! thank you!! :)

ArtPropelled said...

And then there was Charlotte .... the plot thickens. I love the blue background with the blue hairclip. LOvely page!

Anonymous said...

It's a lovely piece...and your writing about the book, makes me want to read it.
I haven't tried the lunch paper, I'm assuming that what we know as deli paper here. I like to paint patterns on old phone book pages and use those in collage.
Cheers,
Mary

Mandy said...

I wish this could be published so we can all have a copy to cherish. Its brilliant!

Lisa said...

you've chosen a wonderful photograph to portray Charlotte and I adore your handstitching around the pix..really lovely piece. can't imagine what else you would add! :)