Monday, November 16, 2009

Library Issue



I have been busy secretly working away on a small set of collages to celebrate/commemorate  the Pulp Redux collaboration!  Being an Altered Book Round Robin I couldn't think of anything more appropriate than a 'library issue card' and a special edition lino cut! All of the background papers are recycled or from the paper stash that I got from Deb.


Collage 2, if you look closely has the words 'tatters patiently rewoven' in green. The poetry was mostly obscured under the layers but it said " All our raveling tatters patiently rewoven, I surrendered pipers cadence for children's moans. Ungazed my mirror was mazed with frosts" thanls Deb for including that cool piece of text!


I've shown them here in the order that I created them and all though I wanted to keep the continutity I didn't want to make them the same! I have my favorite of course but overall I would have to say I am quite pleased with them. I also discovered why thimbles were invented! I havn't done that much sewing in ages!


In true LUCKY DIP style I have wrapped these all up in brown paper with a few other goodies and each player will randomly pick one to keep. It's not a swap, it's a heartfelt thankyou! This swap has already exceeded my hopes and wishes for it and we're still working on our own books!  Mine will be going postal to Alicia of Altered Bits tomorrow or the next day.


I made 5 collages so I could have one too, I even made myself do a little lucky dip so I couldn't be biast...and I got collage number 4. It's actually been added to my book but more on that tomorrow!

 The technique I used for the linocut print was the 'happy accident technique" which will be forever dubbed the h.a.t print (atleast in my mind!) unless someone can tell me if it actually has a name...they're made my wetting the inked lino cut and pressing serviette/tissue paper into them. The serviette's absorb the ink from the low points and wider high points and the water gives it that aged look. I discovered it by accident but that dosn't mean it's original!

12 comments:

Lawendula said...

Lovely and it's so sad, that these book-return-cards are all vanished away by modern systems.
I love the way they got stamped in former days.
And now I never know when to return a book!

ArtPropelled said...

These are gorgeous but I do have 2 favourites. Everything to do with Pulp Redux has my attention. I'm loving following the process.

Lisa said...

Lisa ..these are so gorgeous. I just love what you've done! I agree it is sad that they are a sign of times past..but you've put them to good use making beautiful art with them.

Caterina Giglio said...

what a lovely group of work Lisa! just love the old library cards and your work is wonderful! I do so love this project you are all remarkable artists!

Mick said...

I may be wrong but using the tissue paper to remove some of the ink before the final printing is a twist on what's called a ghost: the second, fainter image taken from a block without re-inking. In your case, the ghost image is controlled and more distinct. Either way, nice! :)

Kim Palmer said...

Wow Lisa these are wonderful!!! You girls are killing me! I so want to art madly! I can't wait to get the studio set up again! Lordy I'm nearly pulling my hair out! (Umm, not a good look either, let me tell you!) LOL! Oh dear, I thought I was posting to Alicia! Can you email me the posting list again to make sure I have it right. Wouldn't want to send mine to the wrong person! I am so closeting myself away from the world to art when I get set up again! I can't believe how hard it has been to be separated from it for a few weeks! I'm officially an art junkie! Do they have meetings for this stuff! LOL! Think I'll set up a group, I can sooo talk from experience!

Seth said...

What a great idea! And each and every one is so special!

Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read this blog. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. I would like to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

omg, these are so fantastically gorgeous! i love them!! i once had a stack of a couple old library cards but lost them while they waited to be used. these are just gorgeous and a half, lady! i lovelovelove them so very much!! how clever and creative and sweet and generous you are!!

Debrina said...

I must apologise for not getting here sooner, Lisa! Is the Deb your speaking about, "me" per chance? I can't remember whether I gave you date due slips or not! (Oh my poor brain...). I think if anyone would, though, it would be me!! Lol. It's handy having a librarian for a friend sometimes, isn't it? We do have our uses, I guess.

Well, I'm absolutely LOVING these collages, Lisa. Your "reverse" lino cutting style is just fantastic! What results, aye?! And the layering is just divine! Ooooh you are such a clever, talented thing. I want to eat all of these now, too. You will most probably, also, be getting only crumbs back in the post after I've finished with your Pulp Redux book!

How is your boy, btw? Was his hand/wrist(?) broken at all? It was his hand, wasn't it? For some reason I kept thinking it was his wrist? See, told you my brain was on its way out.

Debrina said...

Ok - I see these date dues have come from Tauranga Public Library! So you must be talking about a completely different Deb altogether, lol! Well, the GOOD news is I know exactly where to get these used date due slips because we still use them at my high school! From here on in, I will collect the old ones that either fall out of the book or are withdrawn from stock and be sure to save them up for all of us!!

Anonymous said...

wow.. your journalwork is incredible! i too love the journal swaps, and hate the time that your piece leaves your hand until you see it again... but so worth the journey! so fun to sit and completely take in what the other players have added!! over.and over.
i love that!