Thursday, July 17, 2008

Deconstruction of a power symbol.





I bought some old ties at 2nd handshop with the intention of re purposing the material. Ties as I have recently noticed are often made from beautiful fabrics and I chose theses ones based on their colours. When I got them home I started to cut them up thinking about what I would do with the material and how the labels would make great additions to my pilings and collages. Suddenly I had one of those great moments when I realised that I was somehow stepping into the artistic territory of something much better. Something great but as yet unknown. It was a cigarette hole in one of them that started it. I suddenly realised that I knew something about the original owner, that this tie was in someway part of his life story and was now part of mine. This may sound a little crazy or like I've been watching too much CSI for my own good but it set off a whole chain of thoughts, a bit like domino's falling.

A tie is of course, just a tie. A piece of material tied around the neck of a man (generally speaking) but in my mind I started to recognise that a tie is a power symbol, a status symbol of sorts and I started to think about the psychological effects a tie has on both the man who wears it and the people who see it. It also occurred to me that I was deconstructing the power symbol. Rendering it powerless, which of course it was in the first place as it is only material...I haven't quite figured out where I am going with this yet but I know I've just tapped into something that is going to be as significant to me as an artist as the "society is a nest' theory. Oh, and yes ties do make lovely nests. Not only do they look visually delicious with their swirling colours they also represent something strong. They represent provision and leadership, decision making and politics ...

I think I will embark on a series of collages to explore this idea further and allow it to reveal itself to me further. I hope you'll enjoy the journey with me!

6 comments:

Mick said...

This sort of serendipitous discovery is a great joy to behold. It never ceases to amaze me when questions, ideas, connections and themes reveal themselves and quickly lead us down a conceptual path of discovery. Good, good, good, Lisa! What fun!

Irene said...

Wonderful, Lisa, can't wait to see where your ideas will take us. You always amaze me with your points of view. They only seem obvious after you've explained them, but then they make complete sense.

John M. Mora said...

I thought I had commented, but I think I must have tied one on that night....I played with these and will reveal sample sometime.....hope you are well.

I like the top two images since I am drawn to two dimensional photographs (pancakes) unless a halter top is somehow involved....

Hope you are well - my best.

Anonymous said...

Ready...get set...go!!! Let's see what you do Lisa, I can't wait!!! (And what an interesting, very good idea! You are so right on the tie as power symbol!).

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with, I like the coiled up ties like a power nest. At one time back in the late 70's early 80's it was fashionable for women to sport ties and men's clothing. Funny how it didn't come with power though.

hpy said...

I believe that ties are not as important as they used to be, at least not in Europe. Of course I can't talk about all european
countries, but I have the feeling that men use less ties than they used to do (except for bankers, and even they use more of those not so formal ones today).
MAybe I should send you some of my husband's old ties! I guess he wouldn't like me to do so even though he never - or almost never - put's one around the neck!