Friday, January 25, 2008

Thank you!


Another sketch, not a finished artwork from my work book. Same series below.

Thank you to everyone who left a comment and told me their interpretation of the illustration.
Amazing how different ways it could be seen. I did notice that most of you are 'glass half full' sorts of people!
An image out of context as this one was (or in no context at all!) is a lot different to one already published in a specific type of magazine or with a fancy heading. They are the body language so to speak of the picture.

If I had added 2 words to the title: climate change it would have no doubt led to different interpretations because we are usually influenced by the title. Ditto colours. I am fascinated at how publishers can direct out thoughts and responses to their products through imagery, words and colour!

My illustration is a about the human impact we are having on the ice caps. The loss of them through the global warming caused by humans. The hand represents the human race and I tried to show that the ice was melting by the lack of line at the base of the hand. I have been playing around with paint to try and create at ice look (not shown) and I think I have nearly got it...It would change the same basic image quite drastically yet in reality the 'bones' are exactly what you see above.
So now that you have been given all that information do you think it is a good illustration? I'm open to suggestions! Thank you for your thoughts, they are really appreciated!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Bobbie said...

Lisa, I was thinking that the closed fist to me represents victory. I'm not sure how you might use the hand to represent domination. Just a critique, but alas no solution.

Bev said...

I was getting close to ice caps with my thoughts about mountains! It is a very strong image with many resonances. It conjours ideas of man and the elements, but now I see it is more of a symbolic picture than I first thought. It is an excellent way of communicating the way we will be eventually be sinking under the inexorable forces of nature unless we cease our destructive ways. It also shows how ultimately weak and helpless we are in the face of these.

Irene said...

I think a closed fist is not so helpless, it is more one of victory, so you may want to rethink that. Have part of an arm and a grasping hand sticking out of the water maybe. I like your sketch very much, but maybe to symbolize something else altogether. The victory of man over the elements maybe.