Monday, February 15, 2010

Roots-Beneath the layers

Page 1. This page is joined to the back of the last page Lisa did. You can see all of Lisa's fantastic work in this book here. You really don't want to miss it! Her cover has the word 'Roots' and the next page said ' beneath the layers' so I made them part of a sentence by adding ' I see beauty.' Lisa's words are ofcourse the books theme. My first page is a collage of 2nd hand beads, my handmade beads, mutton cloth (thicker than cheese cloth) bits of cut up doily and threads. I still don't know what the red disc thing is! I hope what ever it was from still works without it!
Page 2. One of Lisa's pages features a vintage photo of her Grandmother. This page reflects the era I imagine she came from. A time when things were re-used and re-purposed and no-one thought anything of it because it was the way of life at the time.  Lisa also said her Grandmother didn't get to travel, now we can say she's been to New Zealand! I really love this page, it appeals to the romantic in me!
Page 3. This is stitched to the back of page 2. The white book (formerly the scroll) is able to be full removed from the page and then opened to reveal...a 2 and a half page fabric book! All the shades of brown have been made by dying the fabric with coffee, tea or onions skins. The string around the nest was dyed with real nest dye (sorry, it's a little hard to see that here.)

Page 4 reveals another removable book and that seriously cool rusted bottle cap. A nice little piece of Kiwiana! I have 4 caps sitting in cups on my window sill as I type and I am doing an intentional rust experiment using eco-friendly source. Watch this space if you want to know how that goes!
The book is removed to reveal a pocket and a quote and then opened to reveal another page. This page (as you may remember) was created in collaboration with a bird! I used the non-organic parts of a nest that the kids and I found. The nest was beautiful but when its layers were revealed the true makings of this nest were actually a sad reflection on the environment it was made in. It revealed that although we see rubbish a bird sees as good nest making materials...and I eventually came to see it as good collage making material!


I worked on quite a literal interpretation of Lisa's theme and now my part is done. Soon another artist will be having their turn and the journey will continue. Thanks for being part of chapter 2 with me!

9 comments:

John M. Mora said...

top one is lyrical....

Anonymous said...

i am just loveloveloving all of this, lady! sooo fantasic! all of the little details, bits and pieces, found objects and recycled nest bits, etc. all of your amazing stitching and beads and that red thing (that i adore!) -- you have outdone yourself, lady!! it's all so magnificent! i can't wait to touch it!!! very, very well done! (i keep coming back and looking at all of the photos over and over and over).

xx
a

Caterina Giglio said...

the details are just exquisite and love what you have done with that bird print, is that on fabric? just stunning!

Lisa said...

I so love all that you have created here and how you've followed up on the theme. The stitching looks like a victorian corset.. just love that.. and the line you've stitched to follow up on beneath the layers. I think my favorite may be the last page where you fashioned a collage from the nest materials...it looks so tactile and cozy. So many wonderful little found bits and pockets and hidden details...I am so awe struck.. you've made such precious additions! xxo

Mick said...

The bottom image is my favorite and ... uh oh, I think my toasted cheese sammich fell in there! :O

Debrina said...

This really hasbeen an addiction for you, hasn't it Lisa!! And what an extraordinary result! Beautiful, intricate, delicate and compelling. I can't wait to receive Lisa's book. I fear we will each of us have difficulty parting with our work though...so much of us goes into it.

layers said...

so many layers, so many textures and so much thought put in-- really is a labor of love

ArtPropelled said...

If only you could see me. I've had my nose practically pressed to the screen, inspecting each image and all the layers of lacy lavish loveliness.

Kim Palmer said...

Beautiful work Lisa. I love all the layering you have here and the tiny attention to detail, as always wonderful!