Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Labyrinth Cover.

I am always hesitant to use the word "finished" because it almost challenges me to find something else to add or find something that could be improved. That said it takes a real tuning in with your artwork to know when it is actually finished! I think this cover is, although I will listen a little longer just incase!


The some-what wonky photography is due to the fact that I was trying to hold my big Nikkon with one hand and not take my eye off the hot wax at the same time!
Photo one shows the niche before wax
Photo two shows the just poured wax (which I did in 3 batches)
Photo three shows the circuit board set into the cooling wax
Photo four shows the' finished' cover.

I scored the little plate thing for free because no-one at the 2nd hand shop knew what it was! It's a labyrinth thinge-me-jig of course! I thought about several options for setting the circuit board into the niche for several days. Not sure what to use I thought about plaster of paris or silcone. In the end the remnants of our homemade candles (which are on there 3rd cycle of recycling now!) was chosen because I wanted something that would set quickly, firmly and not be too heavy at the end of it. Just before I poured it into the niche (and with just lunch paper protecting that woven page if it all went wrong!) I realised this was one of those situations that would either go really well, or really wrong! Thankfully the latter didn't happen. Wheeeew! The whole cover is constructed out of the original cover, foam board and various wet mediums to create the look I wanted. I am pretty pleased with the results! Speaking of results, if you havn't been to the Pulp Redx blog recently then your missing on some great covers! There's even been one person doing a little book burning...

10 comments:

The Green Stone Woman said...

I love how you do altered books, Lisa. You have such an imagination. Can I be your apprentice?

La Dolce Vita said...

love the circuit board and you should be pleased with the results its awesome!

John M. Mora said...

Great post and the series of the wax job is reemarkable.

I have not heard the word "scored" used in some time - brings back memories of my youth...

Hell of a cover and a heck of a blue. That blue remindfs me of when we first "met" - maybe two years soon I think.

I so admire your zeal and openess.

We \have all scored with ya.

Kim said...

Love the post here Lisa with the wax process. Love wax and encaustics! The covers look fabulous, very labyrinth!

Mick said...

Rightly done! What John says is so true: "We have all scored with ya."

Lisa said...

i agree with Kim...she said it best! I have to say you and Alicia are very bold...working so hard on your projects for hours/days and then subjecting your work to potential disaster by applying liquids!! I'm not that brave! But it was worth it..your cover looks fab although i would have cried if your woven page was ruined...

deb said...

hey it is looking great!! and by the by, my letter arrived today, thanks!!Posted a pic of the arrival on my blog and looking forward to playing this weekend!

Debrina said...

Ha ha - I know what you mean about the labirynth thingy majiggy thingy! I always do that - I'm in the Sally's thinking - that's perfect for my project. It's a whosey whatsit thingy. It hasn't been bought yet because nobody has realised its intrinsic value yet!

I love the cover (wow - I REALLY loved the effect of the wax too (photo 2)). I managed to get HEAPS done on mine last night, and more tonight, hopefully (you know, the stolen moments away from the family sorta thing).

Will post on Redux this weekend when I do my other blog update.

Seth said...

This project is turning out brilliantly. So cool that you shot the process and showed it step by step in pictures.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I need my computer board back....bill gates.