Thursday, August 20, 2009

A sneak peek...


Here's a sneak peak of what I've been up to lately. I have been doing a 'piece' to submit for the Altered Bits Zine. The theme is black and white and although I did find it hard I enjoyed the challenge. I'd choose white paper yet it hardly ever still looked white when I put next to another white and the same was said for black...I swear that feather really looked black! Without giving to much away.. I will say I went back to my original concept of 'Society is a Nest' which was something I really wanted to do.

I've also been paper making again! It's drying as I speak and I'm trying to keep the cat off it. She's not to impressed that there's paper in her usual spot in front of the heater! It was a lot of fun dipping my hands into a paper making vat again...and I've gotten a book out on paper making and book binding from the library so I am rearing to go as soon as I've got a good stash of paper! Watch this space...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh, i'm so very excited!! what a wonderful sneak peek! can't wait to see the whole thing. :)

also, you can find more info about the zine and how to submit on my site (i think i forgot to put that in my original post): http://alteredbits.com/artzine.php

thank you again for the great peek! it's looking fabulous!

Mick said...

Just for fun, you should get an old paper milk carton (do they have those over there?) and punch lots of little holes in the bottom with an ice pick or a small screwdriver. Then mix some paper pulp and pour in a base layer. Alternately add twigs, grass, flowers, etc. with more layers of pulp until it's an inch or better in thickness. Leave it out of reach of the cats for a few weeks until it dries ... see what happens.

The Artful Eye said...

I really enjoy papermaking too. I haven't done it for a long while. You are inspiring me to bring out the blender and screen.

Your sneak peek is tintillating.

John M. Mora said...

Great stuff and I like any post with words "stash" and "papers."

Regarding Mick's recipe, take the milk out of the carton first....I made a huge mess.

Lisa said...

Your piece is looking wonderful! Working with just black and white is quite the challenge to make sure the tones go together! Neverless..looks like you've made a fab work of art! Love the paper you've made.I've only made silk paper but it's loads of fun!

rivergardenstudio said...

This looks fabulous... I love your work and the photo's of the magnolia tree... Roxanne