Thursday, March 19, 2009

The four elements- New AB project.

This is the original book...fittingly it features one of the four elements!
The ribbons I purchased for the book...probably the most I have ever gotten new for a project but not all things can be reliably sourced 2nd hand! That said I certainly didn't mind pouring over piles of nice new ribbons in lots of yummy colours and textures!
My op-shop scored fabric! I felt divinely provided for when I found this perfect fabric off cut! I spent last night hand sewing a cover for the book...watch this space!

I am a bit ahead of myself here:) This new altered book is for a Round Robin due to start at the end of April. I am starting now because I have so many ideas in my head and I know if I don't let some of them out I will become quite restless. I find even the words...the four elements...inspiring! I really want this book to focus on the actual elements...its' a NZ only book so we can include real wood and mossy bits custom wouldn't allow...and I really want to explore the emotional connections to the four elements- Earth, Air, Fire and Water. This book is definitely in it's baby stages still and even when it has left me it will be most of the year before it returns home again. The Van Gogh tin sent out many months ago is due home any day now so right now it's a bit like waiting for Christmas!


My sign in page... yes it has been a long time since I used that brown lace! This is the last piece of it so I was saving it, apparently brown lace is hard to source! The little niches were hand cut with a craft knife and roughly painted (too look slightly weathered) then sealed with PVA. The idea is that each artist will add a little token (piece of clay...glass bead etc) to the niche that represents the element they worked in. I added a Kowhai seed pod to my niche but the close-up photo I took to show it came out blurry!I will take it again and post it later.

3 comments:

Mick said...

By all means, Lisa, keep letting the ideas loose from your head! :D

Irene said...

Neat to see the process take place. I like altered books very much and must find out if it is done here in the Netherlands.

The Artful Eye said...

I love to see your process. I wish I had more time to document.

The job has eaten my brain.